Chinese Music Concert - "Beyond the Silk Strings" 28 August, 2015
This concert was was a part of the 2015 Guqin Summer School. The Silk and Bamboo Ensemble performed several instrumental solo and ensemble pieces. Two new compositions were played, one a duet for qin and piano, the other a concerto for guzheng and piano. Members of the London Youlan Qin Society played solo guqin pieces.
- Cai Yun Zhui Yue 彩云追月 Colourful Clouds Chasing the Moon (Cantonese Music), Ensemble 合奏 (pipa, erhu, guzheng, xiao, dizi)
- Xi Yang Xiao Gu 夕阳箫鼓 Flute and Drum at Sunset (Trad., Ju Shilin score, 1790), Ensemble 合奏 (pipa, erhu, guzheng, xiao, dizi)
- Zui Yu Chang Wan 醉鱼唱晚 Evening Song of the Drunken Fishermen (Tianwenge Qinpu, 1876) guqin solo by Julian Joseph
- Gao Shan 高山 High Mountains (Shenqi Mipu, 1425) guqin solo by Charles Tsua
- Yang Chun Bai Xue 阳春白雪 White Snow in Sunny Spring (Trad.) pipa solo by Cheng Yu
- Qiu Jiang Ye Bo 秋江夜泊 Boating on an Autumn Night xiao solo by Dennis Kwong Thye Lee
- Liang Xiao 良宵 A Peaceful Evening (Composed by Liu Tianhua 1940) erhu solo by Chen Dacan
- Yu Qiao Wen Da 漁樵問答 Dialogue between the Fisherman and the Woodcutter (Qinxue Rumen, 1864) guqin and xiao duet by Charles Tsua (qin) and Dennis Lee (xiao)
- Su 溯 Su (composed by Zhou Long, 1984), guqin and Western flute duet by Cheng Yu (guqin) and Lin Lin (flute)
- Lin'an Yihen 临安遗恨 The Eternal Sorrow of Lin'an Guzheng concerto by Wu Mengmeng (guzheng) and Lin Lin (piano)
- Molihua 茉莉花 Jasmine Flower, Ensemble (pipa, erhu, guzheng, dizi/xiao)
- Yaozu Wuzi 瑶族舞曲 Dance of the Yao People (adapted from folk music from southeast China), Ensemble (pipa, erhu, guzheng, dizi/xiao)
The London Youlan Qin Society would like to express their gratitude to Prince's Charities Foundation for funding this concert.